Saturday, October 5, 2013

One extra Chromosome, No difference!


Down syndrome is a genetic disorder caused by the presence of all or part of a third copy of chromosome 21. It is typically associated with physical growth delays, a particular set of facial characteristics and a mild degree of intellectual disability.

Down syndrome is named after John Langdon Down, the British physician who described the syndrome in 1866. It  can be identified in a new-born by direct observation or in a fetus by prenatal screening. Sadly nearly 93% of pregnancies with this diagnosis are terminated. But why?

The first time I had any contact with Down syndrome was when I was 7 years old, in my first year of Junior School, I remember the whole year like it was yesterday.  On my first day I got sat next a boy called Aaron and he happened to have Downs,  but to be perfectly honest I didn’t know he was any different to me or the rest of my classmates. Yes he went to a main stream school and why shouldn’t he? Aaron was better at maths then the whole class, he could read and write just as well as the rest of us, to me he was just the same as everyone else. Over the next few weeks we became good friends. But no everyone saw him like I did, older boys would laugh at him and call him names and I didn’t understand why.  So just before Christmas break, when I came out of school and my mum asked if I had a good day I blurted out “Some boys were calling Aaron names” She told me that Aaron's mum was telling her about it while they were waiting for the bell to ring. I asked her “why? It makes me sad”  mum explained to me that Aaron was a little different from the other kids and when I asked her what she meant she replied “Don’t you think he looks a bit different from everyone else?” I stopped to think before replying “But we ALL look different, NONE of us look the same…”  Without another word mum hugged me, no words needed to be exchanged, she knew I understood. So from then on Aaron and I were inseparable, we were best friends, I stood up for him and he stood up for me. He taught me that we are all the same. He laughed, spoke, cried, joked and had moody days just like the rest of us.

Society’s attitude towards Down syndrome is starting to change, and it’s for the better, we are starting to see the world through their eyes. Society doesn’t put them down as much, we no longer have the “they are doomed” or  “ Poor kid, won’t do very well in life” attitude,  words that used to make my blood boil, It drove me mad, why did society insist on giving these children such negative labels? Why couldn’t they see that they are beautiful individuals, capable of doing like the rest of us, yes maybe with a bit more help, but if they are determined to do something they are capable of reaching their goal. These kids aren’t stupid, they are highly intelligent! But like I said that is starting to change, just the other day I was in the town and I saw a beautiful little girl with Downs walking around wearing a T-shirt that said: KEEP CALM, IT’S JUST AND EXTRA CHROMOSOME!” She was so proud of her T-shirt, I just wanted to hug her!

Another amazing example of how much people with Down syndrome can achieve is a gorgeous little girl named Natty, she reminded me of how much someone can achieve and how life will smile back if you smile at it. Natty is main streamed and loves to write, she is also a model, has been on TV, gossip magazines and in fashion catalogues! Its amazing how this one little girl can be such an inspiration to so many!

A special thank you to Aaron and Natty for reminding me that Beauty comes in many shape and sizes and to never give up.

Also thank you to everyone reading, and guys just remember apart form that tiny extra chromosome they are exactly the same as the rest of us.

  
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely article. It's so refreshing to have the perspective of someone that went to school with a classmate who had DS.

    ReplyDelete